Ferndale man shot in encounter with Wayne County deputies

Two deputies injured in incident

By: Mike Koury | Woodward Talk | Published April 18, 2023

 Andrew Harvey

Andrew Harvey

FERNDALE — A 25-year-old Ferndale man was wounded in a Wayne County sheriff’s deputy-involved shooting April 4 in the 700 block of East Webster Street.

According to a press release, Ferndale police responded to the home where the 25-year-old Ferndale man had already had an encounter with deputies from the Wayne County Sheriff’s Office.

Ferndale Police Department Public Information Officer Jill Mahlmeister said the suspect, later identified as Andrew Harvey, was on an electronic tether device out of Wayne County for a domestic violence felonious assault case.

“The Wayne County deputies who monitor the tethers had received some type of alert that there was some type of tether violation going on, whether he was tampering with it or not … so they were there to arrest him on a tether violation,” she said.

Police stated Harvey came at authorities with two knives. He reportedly was stunned with a Taser once but continued to approach the deputies. It was then that deputies reportedly fired shots, striking Harvey.

As the incident continued, one deputy sustained a knife wound to his leg and another sustained an injury to his hand as officers attempted to arrest and handcuff Harvey.

Ferndale police responded to the incident at approximately 9:33 a.m., after Harvey had been detained.

“It was pretty much after the whole incident happened,” Mahlmeister said. “So we responded with the Fire Department quickly, and they rendered aid to both the suspect and the injured deputies.”

The deputy who was stabbed was initially reported to be in stable condition, while the other was treated for his hand injury. Both had been released from the hospital, police said April 5.

The Oakland County Sheriff’s Office Special Investigations Unit is investigating the shooting.

Harvey was arraigned on April 7 in the 43rd District Court on two counts of assault, resisting and obstructing causing injury; one count of assault with intent to do great bodily harm less than murder; and one count of assault with a dangerous weapon, felonious assault. He was given a cash or surety bond of $250,000.

His next court date was a probable cause conference scheduled for April 17, which occurred after the Woodward Talk went to press. Harvey’s attorney, Richard Glanda, could not be immediately reached for comment.