Alleged Ferndale bank robber stopped before escape

By: Mike Koury | Woodward Talk | Published December 5, 2023

 LEFT: Ricky Moore. RIGHT: Stevonte Gilbert-Davis

LEFT: Ricky Moore. RIGHT: Stevonte Gilbert-Davis


FERNDALE — A 50-year-old Detroit man was arrested after he allegedly attempted to rob a bank in Ferndale last month.

According to the Ferndale Police Department, officers were alerted to a report of a bank robbery at approximately 11:04 a.m. Monday, Nov. 20, at the Huntington Bank located at 306 W. Nine Mile Road.

Police stated that the suspect, whom police identified as Ricky Moore, passed a note demanding money to the bank teller and implied that he was holding a weapon.

Ferndale Police Sgt. Janessa Danielson said the bank teller handed over about $2,000 to Moore. However, police were able to arrive at the scene before Moore had left the building, Danielson said.

“Officers entered the building and were able to take him into custody with no one injured,” Danielson said. “There was no hostage situation. Nothing of that sort. … We took everyone’s safety into account while attempting to apprehend the suspect. There was nobody put into harm’s way while we did that.”

Moore was arraigned in the 43rd District Court on Nov. 21 on one count of bank robbery, a felony punishable by life in prison or any number of years.

Moore was issued a $250,000 cash bond. His next court date is a preliminary exam scheduled for 2 p.m. Monday, Dec. 11, at the district court.

His attorney, George Chedraue, could not be reached for comment before press time.

Ferndale police also were able to arrest another individual who they said attempted to commit a theft.

Police responded to an alarm set off at approximately 4:42 a.m. Friday, Dec. 1, at STIIIZY Ferndale, 642 E. Nine Mile Road. A press release states that officers located a vehicle that had been backed into the front door of the business. As officers approached the business, multiple suspects fled from the scene.

Police said one man, Stevonte Gilbert-Davis, 24, of Detroit, was apprehended Dec. 1 and arraigned Dec. 2 in the 43rd District Court on one charge of breaking and entering a building with intent, a possible 10-year felony, and one count of larceny in a building, a possible four-year felony.

Gilbert-Davis was given a $200,000 cash bond. His next scheduled court date is 1 p.m. on Monday, Dec. 11. The court did not have a record of an attorney for Gilbert-Davis as of press time.