One student dead, two injured in Fraser stabbing

By: Brendan Losinski | Fraser-Clinton Chronicle | Published September 15, 2022

 File photo

File photo


FRASER — One Fraser High School student is dead and two others were hospitalized following a violent incident that occurred near Fraser High School on Sept. 13.

Police said the dead and injured students were stabbed. One of the students was said to be in serious condition as of Sept. 14.

The stabbings resulted from a confrontation involving several Fraser High School students, who were believed to have just left the grounds of the high school, located on Garfield Road near Klein Road.

“(The Fraser Department of Public Safety) responded to reports of an assault in progress involving weapons in the area of Garfield and Klein,” the Fraser Department of Public Safety stated. “As the investigation unfolded, it was discovered there were three victims that had been stabbed. All victims were transported to local hospitals, where one of the victims succumbed to his wounds. While the incident did not occur at or on Fraser Schools’ property, due to the proximity of the incident in relation to the schools, and out of an abundance of caution, Fraser DPS advised the Fraser Schools to lock down until all parties were accounted for.”

Fraser Public Schools placed both Fraser High School and nearby Richards Middle School on an external lockdown, after being notified by the Fraser Department of Public Safety of the incident at 4:45 p.m. The lockdown was in place until 5:15 p.m. when investigators confirmed the area was safe. All athletic and after-school events at both buildings were canceled that evening, and the buildings were cleared. District officials said the events will be rescheduled at a later date.

“The administration, faculty and staff of Fraser Public Schools are working cooperatively with the Fraser Police Department in an open and active police investigation,” Superintendent Carrie Wozniak said in a letter to parents. “We realize that this is a very challenging time for our community, and we need to respect everyone’s privacy and the integrity of the investigation.”

The district resumed classes on Sept. 14, the morning after the incident, and Fraser Department of Public Safety officers were present at both the high school and middle school.

“The safety of our students, staff and community is our top priority. As always, counselors and social workers will be available to meet with anyone who needs to talk,” Wozniak stated in her letter. “I encourage (parents) to be aware of what (their) child sees on social media and in our community. I urge (parents) to talk with (their) child and make sure they are receiving accurate information.”