Motorcyclist arrested following pursuits across multiple cities

By: Mark Vest | Farmington Press | Published April 12, 2024

 Abdel Rahman Tarabah

Abdel Rahman Tarabah


FARMINGTON HILLS — A motorcycle rider is facing charges after taking police officers on a potentially dangerous ride.

Abdel Rahman Tarabah, a 26-year-old resident of Dearborn, was arrested by the Farmington Hills Police Department for fleeing and eluding and possession of a firearm during the commission of a felony following multiple pursuits through multiple jurisdictions, according to a press release from the city of Farmington Hills.

Shortly before midnight April 9, the Dearborn Police Department attempted to stop Tarabah’s motorcycle for reckless driving.

The motorcycle had no visible license plate and fled from Dearborn police officers at a high rate of speed.

According to the release, Tarabah repeatedly taunted officers during the pursuit, which was terminated when the Michigan State Police helicopter, Trooper 3, arrived in the area and began to monitor the motorcycle.

Tarabah’s motorcycle was observed by Trooper 3 through several jurisdictions, as he continued to operate it in a “reckless and dangerous manner,” including popping wheelies while traveling at high speeds, leaving the roadway, driving through yards and reaching speeds of more than 140 mph, even when officers were not in pursuit.

Tarabah then fled another traffic stop that was initiated by the Redford Township Police Department, with a pursuit being terminated when Tarabah drove recklessly, reaching speeds of over 100 mph, according to police.

Oakland County’s new P-25 radio system, which allows for seamless radio communication across the county, was utilized in the attempt to bring an end to the situation, as Trooper 3 notified the Farmington Hills Police Department just after midnight that Tarabah’s motorcycle had entered Farmington Hills.

Officers responded to the area of Middlebelt Road, near Eight Mile Road, and quickly located Tarabah’s motorcycle.

Officers pursued Tarabah eastbound on Grand River Avenue from Middlebelt Road, but he abruptly reversed his course of travel at speeds near 100 mph as he looped Grand River Avenue between Purdue Street and Middlebelt Road.

Following that, Tarabah pulled over into a parking lot and immediately surrendered to police with his hands in the air.

Tarabah advised approaching officers that he was armed with a handgun.

Officers secured a loaded 9 mm handgun from his waist and took him into custody without incident, according to the release.

An inspection of the motorcycle revealed that it had run out of gas.

On April 11, the Oakland County Prosecutor’s Office authorized a two-count warrant, charging Tarabah with fleeing and eluding third degree and possession of a firearm during the commission of a felony.

Tarabah was arraigned at the 47th District Court in Farmington Hills. A $10,000 10% cash surety bond was set.

The Dearborn Police Department and the Redford Police Department are also reportedly pursuing charges against Tarabah.

“When an individual flees from police, they endanger the public at large, the officers in pursuit and themselves,” Farmington Hills Police Chief Jeff King stated via the release. “It is their choices and their actions that jeopardize the people and communities we have sworn to protect. The number of suspects and vehicles fleeing from police has increased at an alarming rate and contrary to some opinions, these dangerous suspects continue their reckless and hazardous behavior, even after police terminate the pursuit.”

Aside from acknowledging the work of Farmington Hills police officers, King also credited others for helping to resolve the situation.

“The peaceful resolution to this dangerous incident wouldn’t have been possible without the support and guidance of MSP Trooper 3,” King stated. “The expert coordination between MSP and FHPD was critical in bringing this pursuit to an end with the peaceful surrender and arrest of the suspect, and it wouldn’t have been possible to communicate efficiently without the new interoperable radio system.”

A pre-exam conference hearing is scheduled for April 19. Tarabah did not have an attorney on record at press time.

Staff Writer Kathryn Pentiuk contributed to this report.