A March 6 fire knocked out the windows of fifth and sixth story apartments at Clawson Manor.

A March 6 fire knocked out the windows of fifth and sixth story apartments at Clawson Manor.

Photos provided by the Clawson Fire Department


Clawson firefighters extinguish blaze at Clawson Manor

By: Sarah Wojcik | Royal Oak Review | Published March 6, 2021

 Flames can be seen issuing from a fifth story apartment at Clawson Manor March 6.

Flames can be seen issuing from a fifth story apartment at Clawson Manor March 6.

Advertisement

CLAWSON — At approximately 8:38 a.m. March 6, the Clawson Fire Department responded to a fire alarm at Clawson Manor, an independent senior living complex located at 255 W. 14 Mile Road, west of Main Street.

First responders observed smoke issuing from a fifth floor apartment, and the blaze worsened significantly and flames began to encroach on the sixth floor unit directly above as firefighters made their way to the fire, according to the Fire Department.

Crews tapped multiple water sources and were able to extinguish the fire within 20 minutes of the alarm, according to the Fire Department.

First responders evacuated residents from the units near the fire and advised all other occupants to shelter in place. After confirmation that the fire was extinguished and the building had been ventilated, first responders assisted the displaced residents back to their apartments.

The fire is still under investigation, but it appears to be accidental, according to the Fire Department. One patient was transported to the hospital for a non-life-threatening situation unrelated to the fire, and no other injuries were reported, according to the Fire Department. 

Clawson Fire Chief Troy Engel said the resident whose apartment caught fire is fine and staying with family for a few days. Engel added that Clawson Manor management offered to set her up in a different unit, and that management is taking care of the resident of the sixth floor apartment.

Advertisement