Grosse Pointe FarmsFebruary 27, 2013
Grosse Pointe South swim wins division championship
By Mark Vest
C & G Sports Writer
Another year and another division championship for Grosse Pointe South’s boys swim team.
South won what coach Eric Gunderson said is the program’s 14th consecutive Macomb Area Conference Red Division swimming and diving championship meet Feb. 23.
South finished with 425 points; Macomb Dakota was second with 295.
“They really stepped up,” Gunderson said of his team. “If you would have told me (Dakota) was going to score 295 coming into the meet, I would have said, ‘Well, it might be hard to beat (them).’ Dakota’s real strong. They had a lot of depth. That was really the team that was going to give us the run.”
South won all three relay events at the meet and picked up individual victories from Douglas Graham (200 freestyle), Jacob Montague (200 individual medley), Patrick Johnson (100 butterfly and 100 backstroke) and Samuel Wilkinson (500 freestyle).
South’s victory helps to cap off a strong season within the division, as it also captured a MAC Red dual-meet title.
At press time, Gunderson said South had seven swimmers who had qualified for the Division 2 state finals March 8-9 at Oakland University.
South will also have an opportunity to bring some divers to Oakland. Diving regionals are March 5 at Beverly Hills Groves High School.
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Dakota girls basketball’s entire graduating class receives college scholarship - Macomb Township
- Stoney Creek outlasts Sterling-Mott Unified in boys lacrosse playoff opener - Rochester Hills
- Clawson High girls soccer gives itself chance at third straight title - Clawson
- LACROSSE: Local teams see varying results as state tournament begins - Warren
- Fraser boys track and field wins MAC championship - Fraser
- Southfield gymnast wins two gold medals - Southfield
- Eisenhower softball looks to build strong foundation - Shelby Township
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- North Farmington baseball team improves to 14-3 with 5-2 victory against Pioneer - Farmington Hills
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- Troy softball team sweeps Athens in postseason preview - Troy
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Clawson High girls soccer gives itself chance at third straight title
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start