Man arrested in his underwear after fleeing police

By: Terry Oparka | Troy Times | Published April 14, 2020


Police were called to TownPlace Suites by Marriott Detroit, Troy, at 325 Stephenson Highway, just before 4:30 a.m. April 5 on a report of a suspicious vehicle. 

Police arrived to find a man in a blue pickup truck sounding the horn repeatedly in the back lot, according to the press release. 

When police attempted to stop him, the suspect, Brenden Ray Graves, 18, from Fraser, reportedly kept going and sounding the horn. 

Police said he drove southbound on Stephenson Highway at a high rate of speed. After the pickup truck crossed 14 Mile Road, police terminated the pursuit, according to the police report. 

As police drove away from the scene, Graves reportedly drove the pickup truck south in the northbound lanes of Stephenson Highway, went back to the hotel, then circled around the lot with a flat tire. 

Police said several police cars surrounded the pickup as the suspect reportedly tried to exit the parking lot. 

According to the police report, the suspect eluded officers and proceeded west on 14 Mile Road, stopped in the road, then fled on foot. 

Royal Oak police located him on a roof on Genesee Avenue in Royal Oak, wearing only underwear, at about 7 a.m, according to the police report. 

He was arrested and turned over to the Troy Police Department, where he reportedly refused to take a blood test. Police said he admitted to taking pills and drinking alcohol. 

According to the police report, once in a cell, he contacted the control room several times and said, “You need to open the door and run as fast as you can.” 

He reportedly reached through the meal port and tried to open the door to the cell and pulled a light down from the ceiling. 

Graves was charged with fleeing and eluding, fourth-degree, and malicious destruction of a building, damage less than $400. Drunken driving charges are pending the results of a court-ordered blood test. 

He was arraigned without an attorney in 52-4 District Court April 7. Personal bond was set at $1,000. 

His attorney could not be reached.