The Royal Oak Fire Department fights a fire at 115 N. Georgetown Square Oct. 27. Fire officials believe that the chimney of a wood-burning fireplace was the source of the fire.

The Royal Oak Fire Department fights a fire at 115 N. Georgetown Square Oct. 27. Fire officials believe that the chimney of a wood-burning fireplace was the source of the fire.

Photo provided by Dennis Walus


Firefighters believe condo fire started in chimney

By: Sarah Wojcik | Royal Oak Review | Published October 29, 2018

 Firefighters from six fire departments responded to a fire that originated in the attic of a condo located at 115 N. Georgetown Square Oct. 27.

Firefighters from six fire departments responded to a fire that originated in the attic of a condo located at 115 N. Georgetown Square Oct. 27.

Photo provided by Dennis Walus

ROYAL OAK — At approximately 4:30 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 27, the Royal Oak Fire Department responded to reports of a fire at a condominium located at 115 N. Georgetown Square, near South Center Street and West Hudson Avenue.

Assistant Fire Chief Jim Cook said the homeowner had kindled a fire in his wood-burning fireplace and was sitting in his living room when he thought he saw smoke outside the window.

“It was raining, so he didn’t pay much attention to it, but I think a neighbor alerted him and he got out of there,” Cook said.

When firefighters arrived, Cook said, the fire, which had originated in the attic in the area of the chimney, had burned through the roof, and flames were billowing toward the sky.

“It looked more spectacular (than it actually was),” he said. “We ended up calling for mutual aid.”

Fire crews from Ferndale, Madison Heights and Birmingham helped fight the fire, and fire crews from Bloomfield Township and Southfield also responded, Cook said.

He said firefighters were at the scene for approximately two and a half hours, but they had the blaze extinguished in approximately 45 minutes. He said they were able to keep the fire contained to one structure.

“The investigation isn’t completely done, but it’s done enough where we believe (the chimney was the source of the fire),” Cook said. “He had never had it cleaned before, and he had been living there for 25 years.”

Cook said firefighters did not believe there was anything suspicious about the circumstances of the fire, and he cautioned residents who regularly use their fireplaces to clean their chimneys.