Attention Readers: We're Back
C&G Newspapers is pleased to have resumed publication. For the time being, our papers will publish on a biweekly basis as we work toward our return to weekly papers. In between issues, and anytime, continue to find local news on our website and look for us on Facebook and Twitter.
 Crews ventilate smoke from this home on Hopedale Drive in the early morning hours of June 7.

Crews ventilate smoke from this home on Hopedale Drive in the early morning hours of June 7.

Photo provided by the Troy Fire Department


Fire in furnace fills Troy home with smoke

By: Terry Oparka | Troy Times | Published June 9, 2020

Advertisement

TROY — A woman on Hopedale Drive, near John R and Long Lake roads, called 911 at 3:45 a.m. June 7 to report that her smoke alarms had activated.

According to a press release, the home was filling with smoke, and she and the other resident had concerns about being able to get out of the home safely, although they did not see flames.

When firefighters arrived, Troy police were helping the residents out of the home, according to the release.

Firefighters checked the home and discovered a haze of smoke throughout, according to the release.

The furnace was checked, and crews reportedly discovered the furnace filter had burned. Investigators report that it appears the furnace motor may have been the heat source of the fire, according to the release.

Firefighters ventilated the home of smoke and removed the family dog to safety, the release stated.

Working smoke alarms in the home were key to alerting the residents to the blaze and allowing them time to escape safely, according to the release.

Damage estimates are incomplete. The residents were allowed to return to the home.

Advertisement