Looking Back: The residence of Dr. B.C.H. Spencer

Rochester Post | Published March 19, 2019

Advertisement

ROCHESTER — This is the residence of Dr. B.C.H. Spencer, located on the west side of Main Street, between Fourth and Fifth streets, now University Drive. Before Spencer occupied the home in the 1910s, it belonged to Dr. Jesse Wilson and his family, who purchased the property in the 1860s. The original section of the home dated back to the 1830s, when it was occupied by Almon Mack.

According to “History of Oakland County,” published in 1912 by Thaddeus D. Seeley, Spencer was highly regarded in the local community, serving as Rochester village president for 31 years. He was “to his community like the doctor of ‘before the war’ days, at once physician, friend and counselor to those about him. In his public and private capacities he has never shirked the call of duty, never been found lacking in the time of need. It was with heartiest accord that his fellow townsmen gave to him the position, which entitles him to recognition officially as the chief citizen.”   

— The Rochester Hills Museum at Van Hoosen Farm

Advertisement