Suspect in double stabbing arrested

By: Kristyne E. Demske | Online Only | Published February 7, 2013

Just three days after two men were stabbed in the parking lot of Shore Pointe Motor Lodge, a 36-year-old Detroit man was arrested in connection with the crime.

Sgt. Jay Cohoe of the St. Clair Shores Police Department said a 31-year-old Warren man and a 26-year-old St. Clair Shores man were stabbed in the motel’s parking lot around 3:20 a.m. Feb. 3.

A friend drove the men to St. John’s Hospital in Detroit, where the Warren man was in temporary serious condition with a stab wound to the neck but has since been released. The St. Clair Shores man was stabbed in the abdomen, according to St. Clair Shores Police Detective John Rood, and was still hospitalized in serious critical condition as of Feb. 6.

Rood said they believe that a woman had a disagreement with one of the two victims and called the suspect, 36-year-old Dawayne Johnson of Detroit, to the motel that night.

“She calls this guy, he shows up and the incident ensued,” Rood said after Johnson was arraigned Feb. 6 in front of Judge Joseph Oster of the 40th District Court. He said an argument broke out and then escalated into violence.

Just before 3 a.m. Feb. 6, Livonia Police stopped Johnson near Merriman and Plymouth roads because his vehicle matched the description of the suspect’s vehicle in the case. Police discovered Johnson was driving with a suspended driver’s license and also that he matched the description of the suspect that had been distributed by St. Clair Shores Police.

He was arraigned on two counts of assault with intent to commit great bodily harm less than murder — each of which carry a maximum penalty of 10 years in prison or $5,000 — and bond was set at $300,000 cash or surety.

Speaking at his arraignment, Johnson said that he went to college and has been on the “straight and narrow for years … taking care of my two sons.” He said his criminal history is all 10-15 years in his past.

“These are very serious charges,” Oster said, adding that he believed Johnson is a threat to the community.

He said if Johnson is released on bond, he will be unable to leave the state of Michigan and will be placed on a GPS tether. He is also to have no contact with the victims and to stay away from the Shore Pointe Motor Lodge.

Johnson will be back in court for a preliminary examination Feb. 19.