Macomb CountyMarch 18, 2013
Sheriff’s office arrests 2 Ohio men
By Robert Guttersohn
C & G Staff Writer
» click to enlarge «
MOUNT CLEMENS — The Macomb County Sheriff’s office arrested two men March 14 allegedly hiding out here after an Ohio crime spree, according to a sheriff’s office press release.
After escaping an initial arrest attempt, the two suspects Robert Hamman, 43, and Jeffrey Patton, 42, split up and led authorities in Macomb County on a countywide search spanning from Mount Clemens to Macomb Township and St. Clair Shores.
Both men from Willard, Ohio have criminal charges pending in Ohio.
After attempting to escape using a stolen vehicle, Hamman was charged March 15 with one felony count of motor vehicle unlawful driving away and a felony count of fleeing a police officer. If convicted of both charges, Hamman could serve seven years in prison.
He was arraigned in Shelby Township’s 41-A District Court and is being held on $10,000 bond.
Macomb County Prosecutors have not charged Patton with a crime, but both suspects are awaiting possible extradition to Ohio for the offenses allegedly committed there, according to officials.
After a rash of break-ins in Huron County, Ohio, a witness allegedly named Hamman and Patton as the culprits, authorities said. Officials there discovered the two were in Michigan.
“Through the use of technology, they determined the two were in Mount Clemens,” said Lt. John Michalke from the Macomb County Sheriff’s Office.
At about 1 a.m. on March 14, Deputies discovered the two suspects’ truck parked in a Mount Clemens motel, but the two men fled the scene on foot toward Macomb Township before an arrest could be made, Michalke said.
“We actually believe they were walking down the railroad tracks,” he said.
Hours later, a truck was reported stole near the intersection of 21 Mile and Fairchild roads in Macomb Township. Authorities said the truck was outfitted with a GPS device, allowing authorities to track the driver, Hamman, who was driving west on Interstate 94.
Eight hours after spotting their truck in Mount Clemens, deputies stopped the vehicle on the interstate near 9 Mile Road and arrested Hamman, officials said.
Patton was arrested two hours later while on foot near 21 Mile Road and North Avenue in Macomb.
Michalke said there will be a court hearing to decide if the two men will be extradited to Ohio.
- Last 24 Hours
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Local chefs share trade secrets for creating the perfect holiday cookie - Metro Detroit
- Parks and Rec confirms ITC won’t work on trail until 2014 - West Bloomfield
- Mount Clemens man accused of sexually assaulting daughters - Mount Clemens
- Special needs program receives $10,000 grant for iPads - Hazel Park
- Man charged for indecent exposure on Hall Road - Utica
- Holiday Shopping Expo comes to town Dec. 14-15 - Farmington Hills
- Ford House grounds dazzle after dark this holiday season - Grosse Pointe Shores
- Lieutenant promoted to Deputy Police Chief - St. Clair Shores
- Homeowner shoots at home invasion suspect - Harper Woods
- Woman found dead in Warren home - Warren
- Former Birmingham mayor arrested again on meth charges - Birmingham
- WWTHS graduate killed in Libya remembered - Warren
- Love surrounds local teacher fighting cancer - Warren
- Community rallies for Shelby boy with brain cancer - Shelby Township
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer - Shelby Township
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams - Walled Lake
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee - Macomb Township
- East Detroit student dies following pool accident - Eastpointe
- Attorney dies in Harper Avenue crash - St. Clair Shores
- CVHS students to stage production of ‘Hairspray’ - Clinton Township
- Missing woman found dead - West Bloomfield
- Sterling woman hurt in shooting - Sterling Heights
- Christmas comes to the Shores - St. Clair Shores
- County board considers regional water authority proposal - Macomb County
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee
- Child prodigy becomes youngest artist exhibited at Park West Gallery
- All in the family
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi