Shelby TownshipMarch 6, 2013
Police investigate fatality following shooting
By Brad D. Bates
C & G Staff Writer
SHELBY TOWNSHIP — Shelby Township Police Chief Roland Woelkers said details were still limited because of an ongoing investigation, but one woman is dead following injuries from a Feb. 25 shooting.
The shooting occurred at roughly 7 a.m. in an apartment complex near 25 Mile and Mound roads. Woelkers said he could not give any specifics on suspects or the victim, but he confirmed that the victim passed away after being removed from a respirator at a nearby hospital.
“They went ahead and took her off life support last night,” Woelkers said March 4.
Woelkers said his officers are finishing their investigation and his department will wait for the final results of an autopsy from the Macomb County Medical Examiner before making a final determination on the shooting.
“We haven’t determined exactly what we have yet,” Woelkers said. “Right now, it’s an open death investigation and could end up a potential suicide or a homicide.”
Woelkers said the apartment complex where the shooting occurred is near Eisenhower High School, but the shooting posed no danger to the students or staff.
“There was no lockdown of Eisenhower, and there didn’t need to be,” Woelkers said. “(The apartment is) right across from the school, but there was no active shooter when we arrived.
“The shooting was already very old, and there was not a recent discharge of the firearm anywhere near the school.”
- Last 24 Hours
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- WB board to petition governor for treasurer’s removal - West Bloomfield
- Bashara seeks laptop in jail as he prepares for murder trial - Detroit
- Commission takes stance against I-75 expansion - Royal Oak
- Puppies transform prisoners - Rochester Hills
- Hackel touts ‘resurgence’ of Macomb County economy - Macomb County
- Troy makes Grand Sakwa offer for transit center land - Troy
- All in the family - Clinton Township
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi - Metro Detroit
- Looking Back: 1920s Coolidge Highway - Berkley
- Lieutenant promoted to Deputy Police Chief - St. Clair Shores
- Looking Back: Warren Co-op - Warren
- Ferndale resident taking part in Potters Market for first time - Ferndale
- Avoid holiday horror stories - Shelby Township
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer - Shelby Township
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams - Walled Lake
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee - Macomb Township
- East Detroit student dies following pool accident - Eastpointe
- Attorney dies in Harper Avenue crash - St. Clair Shores
- CVHS students to stage production of ‘Hairspray’ - Clinton Township
- Looking Back: Selinsky-Green Farmhouse c. 1898 - St. Clair Shores
- Sterling woman hurt in shooting - Sterling Heights
- Christmas comes to the Shores - St. Clair Shores
- County board considers regional water authority proposal - Macomb County
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee
- Child prodigy becomes youngest artist exhibited at Park West Gallery
- All in the family
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi