SHELBY TOWNSHIP — Shelby Township Police Chief Roland Woelkers said details were still limited because of an ongoing investigation, but one woman is dead following injuries from a Feb. 25 shooting.
The shooting occurred at roughly 7 a.m. in an apartment complex near 25 Mile and Mound roads. Woelkers said he could not give any specifics on suspects or the victim, but he confirmed that the victim passed away after being removed from a respirator at a nearby hospital.
“They went ahead and took her off life support last night,” Woelkers said March 4.
Woelkers said his officers are finishing their investigation and his department will wait for the final results of an autopsy from the Macomb County Medical Examiner before making a final determination on the shooting.
“We haven’t determined exactly what we have yet,” Woelkers said. “Right now, it’s an open death investigation and could end up a potential suicide or a homicide.”
Woelkers said the apartment complex where the shooting occurred is near Eisenhower High School, but the shooting posed no danger to the students or staff.
“There was no lockdown of Eisenhower, and there didn’t need to be,” Woelkers said. “(The apartment is) right across from the school, but there was no active shooter when we arrived.
“The shooting was already very old, and there was not a recent discharge of the firearm anywhere near the school.”
- 30 DAYS
- EPA work to close Harper Avenue for weeks - St. Clair Shores
- West Bloomfield hopes to ‘eliminate the stigma’ - West Bloomfield
- K-9 to receive bulletproof vest - Grosse Pointe Woods
- Shelby to Utica trail connection work to wrap up Nov. 15 - Shelby Township
- Rochester hires new city manager - Rochester
- Multitasking your workout - Metro Detroit
- New web series features talents of local actors - St. Clair Shores
- Teacher uses bracelets to spread positive behavior - Roseville
- Men steal thousands in cigarettes - St. Clair Shores
- Serious crash occurs at 23 Mile and Schoenherr - Shelby Township
- Roseville teacher honored for 48 years of service - Roseville
- Police say deceased man found below tower likely took own life - Shelby Township
- Made in Michigan Festival returns with race, food trucks and more - St. Clair Shores
- Woman killed in boating accident on Lake St. Clair - Harrison Township