Detroit, Grosse Pointe Park
Park woman found murdered in Detroit
Published January 27, 2012
Police are investigating the case of a 56-year-old Grosse Pointe Park woman found murdered in her vehicle in an alley in Detroit Jan. 25.
Public Safety Chief David Hiller said Park detectives were working closely with Detroit police on the homicide, but didn’t have a suspect or motive as of the afternoon of Jan. 26.
According to police, Jane Bashara’s husband, Bob Bashara, contacted police at 11:30 p.m. Jan. 24 to report that his wife was missing. He is said to have last spoken to his wife late that afternoon. Police believe Jane Bashara went home after work, but when her husband arrived home around 8 p.m. that evening, he said she wasn’t there. Police said family members tried to contact Jane Bashara but were unable to reach her.
As Park detectives began their investigation the morning of Jan. 25, they received a call around 9 a.m. from the Detroit Police Department stating that Jane Bashara’s vehicle had been recovered in an alley at Bradford and Pinewood in Detroit. Hiller said the vehicle was found in a residential area near Osborn High School, in the Seven Mile and Hoover area.
Jane Bashara’s body was found in the back seat of her vehicle. Detroit Police Department’s homicide division was notified, as were their evidence technicians, police said. Hiller said he was still awaiting autopsy results from the Wayne County Medical Examiner’s Officer, which conducted an autopsy Jan. 26. Police noticed trauma to the body, and Hiller said initial reports have indicated Jane Bashara was strangled, although he couldn’t confirm that.
Hiller said they don’t know where Jane Bashara had been that evening, or where she was killed. As to whether anything was missing from her or her vehicle, police were being tight-lipped, due to the sensitive nature of the ongoing investigation.
“We are following up on various leads and tips,” Hiller said.
Anyone with more information is asked to call the Park Public Safety Department at (313) 822-7400, or contact the Detroit Police Department.
- 30 DAYS
- Strap in pets and keep them cool in the car - Metro Detroit
- Seeing green: LTU named one of nation’s eco colleges - Southfield
- Lakefront residents continue to deal with stinky muck - Harrison Township
- Fillmore Elementary to close, merge with Black - Sterling Heights
- JLD Designers’ Show House to be back in Park in 2016 - Grosse Pointe Park
- Woman faces child abuse charges after infant found injured - Eastpointe
- Planet Lori gives kids touched by cancer chance to be young again - Birmingham
- Military museum announces upcoming event plans - Eastpointe
- BHS recognized as one of the most challenging high schools in the state - Berkley
- Auto accident critically injures Stevenson student - Sterling Heights
- A mother’s dream come true - Macomb Township
- Stevenson student dies after M-53 accident - Sterling Heights
- Sheriff shares latest developments in fatal Stony Creek crash - Shelby Township
- East Detroit approves school uniform policy - Eastpointe