Bloomfield TownshipSeptember 25, 2013
Four men arrested following carjacking, assault
By Robin Ruehlen
C & G Staff Writer
BLOOMFIELD TOWNSHIP — Four men are now in custody in connection with a violent carjacking that took place in the parking lot of the Kroger on Telegraph Road Sept. 15.
According to Sgt. Timothy Abbo, the suspects approached a man sitting in his car at Kroger at around 11 p.m. and inquired about receiving a ride. When the man refused, he was pulled from his vehicle and assaulted. The suspects then drove away with his car.
Bloomfield Hills officers overheard the ensuing radio traffic, and informed Bloomfield Township officers that just half an hour before, they had released four men from their station on charges of soliciting without a license.
The Bloomfield Township Investigations Division was able to use that information to identify the men: a 26-year-old from Shreveport, La.; a 23-year-old from Birmingham, Ala.; a 23-year-old from Chicago; and a 24-year-old from Memphis, Tenn.
On Sept. 16, two of the suspects were arrested at a residence on Lafayette in Detroit. Two others were subsequently located at a motel on Jefferson Avenue and were arrested without incident. The suspects told police they had been selling magazine subscriptions in the area for the past few months, and at the time of their arrest, two of the four were in the process of fleeing to Kansas City, Mo.
Detroit police found the stolen vehicle on the city’s west side that same day and discovered that the suspects had used the vehicle to commit an armed robbery in the city in which one person was stabbed, police said.
The suspects were turned over to Detroit police and remain in custody while the investigation continues. The Oakland County Prosecutor’s Office will review the case for possible charges in regard to the crimes committed in Bloomfield Township.
Abbo said he had not received any prior reports of the suspects soliciting within the township prior to the carjacking incident.
- Last 24 Hours
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Local chefs share trade secrets for creating the perfect holiday cookie - Metro Detroit
- Mount Clemens man accused of sexually assaulting daughters - Mount Clemens
- Parks and Rec confirms ITC won’t work on trail until 2014 - West Bloomfield
- Two suspects on loose after robbing Comerica Bank - Clinton Township
- Special needs program receives $10,000 grant for iPads - Hazel Park
- Man charged for indecent exposure on Hall Road - Utica
- Ferndale introduces 30-minute free parking zones around city - Ferndale
- Lieutenant promoted to Deputy Police Chief - St. Clair Shores
- Woman found dead in Warren home - Warren
- Homeowner shoots at home invasion suspect - Harper Woods
- Former Birmingham mayor arrested again on meth charges - Birmingham
- WWTHS graduate killed in Libya remembered - Warren
- Love surrounds local teacher fighting cancer - Warren
- Community rallies for Shelby boy with brain cancer - Shelby Township
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer - Shelby Township
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams - Walled Lake
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee - Macomb Township
- East Detroit student dies following pool accident - Eastpointe
- Attorney dies in Harper Avenue crash - St. Clair Shores
- CVHS students to stage production of ‘Hairspray’ - Clinton Township
- Missing woman found dead - West Bloomfield
- Sterling woman hurt in shooting - Sterling Heights
- Christmas comes to the Shores - St. Clair Shores
- County board considers regional water authority proposal - Macomb County
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee
- Child prodigy becomes youngest artist exhibited at Park West Gallery
- All in the family
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi