Harrison Township woman dead after apartment fire

By: Brendan Losinski | Mount Clemens-Clinton-Harrison Journal | Published July 28, 2022

 Shutterstock photo

Shutterstock photo


HARRISON TOWNSHIP — The Harrison Township Fire Department and Macomb County Sheriff’s Office are investigating a fire that broke out in the early hours of July 24 that left one woman dead.

The fire took place at the Shores of Lake St. Clair Apartments. Harrison Township firefighters responded to the scene after receiving reports of a third floor fire in the apartment building at approximately 3:50 a.m.

“A resident of the complex stated that he observed flames coming from another apartment window,” Sgt. Renee Yax of the Macomb County Sheriff’s Office said in a statement. “Upon arrival, the flames could be seen coming from a third floor window.”

The Macomb County Sheriff’s Office has identified the victim as 27-year-old Taryn Gainey, one of the apartment residents. Investigators added that several other residents reported smoke inhalation, but that there were no other serious injuries. Firefighters evacuated the building as they worked to extinguish the fire and located the victim, who was alone in her home at the time. She was transported to a nearby hospital where she was pronounced dead.

The Clinton Township Fire Department and firefighters from Selfridge Air National Guard Base also arrived on the scene and helped the Harrison Township personnel put out the blaze.

Investigators indicated that there are no signs of foul play in the matter, but added that the investigation is ongoing. They said a cooking fire is the suspected cause of the fire. 

“It appears accidental — a cooking fire — and no foul play is suspected. The cooking fire did seem to originate in the victim’s apartment,” said Yax. “No cause of death has been officially released in the case of the victim. … Those treated for smoke inhalation were all released (by July 27) and no one besides the victim had any lasting injuries that we know of.”

Yax also added that there were working smoke detectors in the apartment at the time of the fire. It has not yet been determined why the victim was unable or unwilling to leave the apartment after the smoke detectors activated.

There was no estimate on the amount of damage caused to the units.

Call Staff Writer Brendan Losinski at (586) 498-1068.