Bomb threat at Roseville Middle School was phony

By: Kevin Bunch | Roseville - Eastpointe Eastsider | Published April 19, 2016

Advertisement

ROSEVILLE — Roseville police gave the all-clear the morning of April 19 after a bomb threat was called in to Roseville Middle School.

A statement released by Roseville Community Schools Superintendent John Kment said that a threat had been called in around 7:10 a.m. as students were arriving at the school.

“The police were immediately called,” Kment said in the statement. “The students had not completely arrived. All of them were moved over to Steenland Elementary in the gym and auditorium area, along with all of the staff from the building.”

Kment said officers then blocked off Barkman Street and brought in a bomb-sniffing dog. The only non-police person allowed in the school at the time was a custodian to help lead police around.

Deputy Police Chief Don Glandon said a police investigation of the area turned up nothing incriminating or dangerous, with the all-clear issued around 90 minutes later.

“There was a backpack off to the side, but it turned out to be nothing involved in the incident,” Glandon said. “It was just one of those things that, when all this is unfolding, you investigate as things turn up.”

Glandon added that detectives are now trying to find any leads as to who called in the phony bomb threat.

Roseville Middle School Principal Jason Bettin issued his own statement to parents on Facebook, where he said that numerous students had already been taken home for the day while the school was being searched. The remaining students still had class, and with smaller class sizes, Bettin said they were getting the chance to receive more individualized help and catch up on their schoolwork.

“Please be aware that the district will prosecute those that are caught,” Bettin said in his statement. “Thanks to the (bomb threat) protocol we have in place, at no time were students in danger this morning.”

Advertisement