Macomb CountyJuly 13, 2012
MAC honors top local softball players
By Jon Malavolti
C & G Sports Writer
Another competitive season of Macomb Area Conference softball is in the books
Here’s a look back at how each team fared in its division and the elite players who helped shape their team’s destiny.
Utica Stevenson and Romeo High finished as co-champs at 10-2, while St. Clair High (7-5) was third, followed by Anchor Bay (6-6), Macomb Dakota (4-8) Marine City (3-9) and Chippewa Valley (2-10).
Stevenson’s Alyssa Huntley was named Most Valuable Player, while Stevenson’s Tony Misuraca was tabbed as Coach of the Year. Marine City won the Team Sportsmanship award.
Earning All-Conference honors are Huntley, Jessica Berner, Taylor Moceri, Andrewa Deneweth and Haley Knodell, Stevenson; Taylor Weaver, Rachel Gabrielson, Taylor Waters and Melissa Staelgraeve, Romeo; Lindsey Lawson, Brittany Schweiger and Bailey Dembinski, St. Clair; Kasey McKay and Rachel Podgolski, Anchor Bay; Erica Manduzzi and Megan Downey, Dakota; Jordan Mathison, Marine City; and Leah Fifer, Chippewa Valley.
Utica Ford II took the title after finishing 9-3, followed by Utica High (7-5), Utica Eisenhower (7-5), St. Clair Shores Lake Shore (6-6), Port Huron Northern (6-6), St. Clair Shores Lakeview (4-8) and Grosse Pointe North (3-9).
North’s Amy Zaranek took home MVP honors, and Ford’s Matt Joseph was Coach of the Year. Utica won the Team Sportsmanship award.
All-Conference honorees are Gabby Schefka, Lindsay Dodson, Valerie Knight, Alex Sorgi and Jordyn Wojciechowski, Ford; Jenna Lucente, Sarah Mauser, Jessica Peddle, Samantha Zarins, Utica; Olivia Hrymak, Kayla Laquire, Ellie Kauten, Ike; Mackenzie Nemitz and Andrea Rico, Lake Shore; Morgan Thompson and Chelsea Koehn, Northern; Katelyn Taormina, Lakeview; and Zaranek, North.
Fraser High finished first after an 11-1 campaign, followed by Harrison Township L’Anse Creuse (9-3), Macomb L’Anse Creuse North (8-4), Marysville High (7-5), Roseville High (3-9), Warren Cousino (3-9) and Warren Mott (1-11).
Fraser’s Bryana Opalewski and Matt Fishburn were honored as MVP and Coach of the Year, respectively.
All-Conference honorees are Lacey Trelfa, Kaitlyn Thayer, Kayla Belfiori, Faith Genova and Jenni Ochlsyki, Fraser; Megan Fedolik, Shannon Brown, Monica Hassig and Megan Hicks, L’Anse Creuse; Ashley Dunford, Courtney Dunford and Jordan Bennett, LCN; Emma Cook and Ashley Locke, Marysville; Lauren Croud and Aryana Nacker, Cousino; Amanda Schankin, Roseville; and Kristyn Bawol, Mott.
Warren Woods Tower went a perfect 12-0 to wrap up the title, followed by Port Huron (10-2), Center Line High (7-5), Grosse Pointe South (7-5), Madison Heights Lamphere (3-9), Sterling Heights High (3-9) and Clawson High (0-12).
Tower’s Shelby Weeks was named the MVP, while Port Huron’s Chris Kozlowski was tabbed as Coach of the Year.
All-Conference honorees are Weeks, Rachel Kopenick, Sara Asmar, Tori MacDermaid, Erica Wilson, Tower; Jennifer Reid, Bre Cates, Katie Neitzke and Kate Roester, Port Huron; Gretchen Shirar, Christy Tedi and Katie Kish, Center Line; Kayla Wilson and Jenna Mowinski, South; Meghan Versele and Chelsea Austin, Lamphere; Allison Erickson, Sterling Heights; and Alli Costine, Clawson.
Warren Fitzgerald won the crown with a 10-2 mark, edging Warren Lincoln (9-3), Clinton Township Clintondale (9-3), St. Clair Shores South Lake (8-4), Madison Heights Madison (3-8), New Haven High (1-10) and East Detroit (0-10).
Fitz’s Samantha Miloser and Rich Smith won MVP and Coach of the Year honors, respectively.
All-Conference honorees are Miloser, Tia Carter, Beth Michalski, Ashley Walker and Melinda West, Fitz; Jackie Brown, Elena Ramirez, Colleen Sharkin and Brittany Streetman, Lincoln; Sandra Simpson, Sarah Block and Morgan Dude, Clintondale; Sarah Nelson and Natalie Poirier, South Lake; Hailey Cason and Danielle O’Connor, Madison; and Toni Jomar, New Haven.
- Last 24 Hours
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Mercy softball confidence soars as playoff time draws ever-so close - Farmington Hills
- Southfield gymnast wins two gold medals - Southfield
- All three local schools qualify athletes for track and field state finals - Grosse Pointe Farms
- North, South and Liggett tennis teams earn spots in state finals - Grosse Pointe Farms
- Heugh knows key to Athens success is finding consistency - Troy
- Berkley baseball team eyes division crown for second straight year - Berkley
- Roseville baseball team focused on district title - Roseville
- Brother Rice rolls past Catholic Central to claim league title - Birmingham
- Bishop Foley defends Catholic League title with win over NDP - Madison Heights
- Sterling Heights native, Albion College pitcher, earns MVP honors - Sterling Heights
- Dakota girls basketball’s entire graduating class receives college scholarship - Macomb Township
- Stoney Creek outlast Sterling-Mott Unified in boys lacrosse playoff opener - Rochester Hills
- Fraser boys track and field wins MAC championship - Fraser
- LACROSSE: Local teams see varying results as state tournament begins - Warren
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- North Farmington baseball team improves to 14-3 with 5-2 victory against Pioneer - Farmington Hills
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- Troy softball team sweeps Athens in postseason preview - Troy
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Roseville High girls soccer looks to improve under second-year coach
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start