Birmingham, Bloomfield Hills
Fashion show to benefit LUNGevity
February 19, 2014
BIRMINGHAM/BLOOMFIELD HILLS — This weekend, a Bloomfield Hills High School sophomore is teaming up with local businesses to raise money and awareness for the LUNGevity Foundation, a lung cancer research organization that helps improve the lives of people with lung cancer through research, early detection and treatment.
Tess Garcia, a sophomore at Bloomfield Hills High School, along with several Birmingham retailers, will present a charity fashion show and silent auction.
The Breathe Deep Fashion Show will begin at 3 p.m. Feb. 22 in the main ballroom of The Community House, located at 380 S. Bates St. in Birmingham. All proceeds will benefit the LUNGevity Foundation.
The show will feature local students adorned in apparel from several Birmingham retailers, including Dbl Up, Francesca’s, J. Mclaughlin, Lola B., Lyudviga Couture, President Tuxedo, Rococo and Roots.
“My grandma inspired me to create the Breathe Deep Fashion Show,” Garcia said. “She died of stage four lung cancer last October, though she’d never smoked. I want to use the fashion show not only to raise money for Breathe Deep Michigan, but also to raise awareness. I hope to show people how prevalent lung cancer really is for both smokers and nonsmokers.”
Garcia discovered LUNGevity from the Breathe Deep Michigan 5k, a walk that her grandmother participated in yearly, and she wanted to donate to a charity that her grandmother felt passionate about.
“When Tess came to me with the idea of a fashion show, I was absolutely blown away. Her dedication and determination are what make organizations like LUNGevity successful, and I am so excited to watch this event flourish,” said Katie Avesian, former Breathe Deep Michigan volunteer event coordinator. “Since LUNGevity’s Breathe Deep Michigan 5k Walk debut nearly six years ago, we have worked to raise over $330,000 to fund lung cancer research and awareness.”
Fashion Show tickets at the door are $10 for adults, and $5 for students and children ages 10 and younger. Advance tickets are $5 and can be purchased at www.lungevity.org. All donations will benefit the LUNGevity Foundation.
For more information about the Breathe Deep Fashion Show, send an email to email@example.com.
- 30 DAYS
- Police investigate three suspicious car fires - Royal Oak
- Dakota High School student dead after being found in hospital parking structure - Clinton Township
- Alertness may protect your car, holiday gifts - Metro Detroit
- Teen dies after rollover accident - Clinton Township
- Dakota senior earns Eagle Scout recognition - Macomb Township
- Dead body identified as Hazel Park man - Hazel Park
- You’re still a good man, Charlie Brown - Warren
- Explosion rocks neighborhood - St. Clair Shores
- Kramer Homes offers gift of community for disabled vet - Center Line
- Stein Mart opens first metro Detroit store in Rochester Hills - Rochester Hills
- Police arrest suspect in hit-and-run of Troy High School student - Troy
- Commissioners approve Oakland County Animal Control’s new ‘forever home’ - Oakland County
- Chaldean foundation opens new community center - Sterling Heights
- New high school club puts focus on science and technology - Roseville