Grosse Pointe South High School student suspended for allegedly brandishing gun after school

By: Maria Allard | Grosse Pointe Times | Published December 21, 2018


GROSSE POINTE FARMS — A Grosse Pointe South High School student was suspended from school Dec. 20 following an after-school altercation in which the student allegedly brandished a firearm in front of another student.

According to Grosse Pointe Public School System officials, the South administration was notified by the Grosse Pointe Farms Public Safety Department during the evening of Dec. 19 regarding an altercation that occurred after school between two South students.

According to an email that South Principal Moussa Hamka sent to staff at 8:27 p.m. Dec. 19, it was reported that one of the students allegedly went to a vehicle on Fisher Road and brandished a firearm before driving away. The email also was sent to South parents.

“According to police this was an isolated incident involving two students,” the email states. “The police have made contact with the individuals involved in this altercation, including the student who allegedly brandished the weapon.”

In the email, Hamka stated that, according to police, several students told their families and police about the incident. Nobody was hurt in the incident.

“I want to thank these students for helping keep the South community safe,” Hamka said.

GPPSS Superintendent Gary Niehaus said that the altercation occurred when one male student was bothering a female student and a second male student was trying to stick up for her. Niehaus said the student who was bothering the female student eventually got into a vehicle and brandished the firearm before driving away.

According to Niehaus, a city Public Works employee and other parents and students saw the student with the firearm, but did not notify police until two hours after the incident. At press time, it was unclear if any charges would be filed in the incident.

“It’s still under investigation,” Neihaus said. “Police are still interviewing people.”

Information about what type of firearm was involved was not disclosed. A formal hearing will eventually be held about whether or not the student will be able to return to school.

During the evening of Dec. 19 — after the incident — Niehaus said South was checked and cleared, and school opened on time Dec. 20. Because of the incident, Niehaus said an extra police presence from the Grosse Pointe Farms Public Safety Department and the Grosse Pointe City Public Safety Department was at school Thursday morning.

“Things seemed to go really well,” Niehaus said.

No further information, including the ages and grades of the students involved, was released at this time.