Berkley police arrest second teen for alleged involvement in April robbery

By: Mike Koury | Woodward Talk | Published August 27, 2019

 Dwayne Harris

Dwayne Harris

Advertisement

BERKLEY — A second individual has been arrested in connection with the armed robbery of two teens at a Berkley home in April.

Dwayne Harris, of Redford, was arrested by the Berkley Public Safety Department Aug. 14 and arraigned on two charges of armed robbery the following day at the 44th District Court in Royal Oak.

Harris, 18, is accused of participating in the robbery of two teens April 12 in the 2400 block of Beverly Boulevard. The teens were hanging out in a Berkley garage at the time, and as they were leaving, three robbers approached them.

One of the robbers, who police said was Amadou Sene, allegedly started to assault one of the two victims, an 18-year-old Berkley resident, and held him to the ground. This allowed one of the other robbers to go through the teen’s pockets, taking his wallet and cash.

The third robber — allegedly Harris, holding a gun — held down the other victim, a 19-year-old from Madison Heights, and the other, unidentified suspect went through the teen’s pockets, taking his wallet, cellphone and cash.

“The subjects then took off on foot from the area, getting into a vehicle, and fled the scene,” Berkley Public Safety Department Detective Lt. Andrew Hadfield said previously.

Sene was arrested April 13, the day after the robbery. Police continued to investigate Harris, who reportedly denied any knowledge of what was going on or any involvement in the crime.

In speaking with other possible witnesses and friends, and obtaining search warrants for phones and social media with the help of the Troy Police Department’s Special Investigation Unit, Hadfield said they were able to show that Harris did have “knowledge of what was going on and did have a large involvement in the case.”

“There was a search warrant done at his home as well, where a BB gun was recovered,” Hadfield said.

Harris turned himself in to authorities at the Berkley Public Safety Department. As for the third suspect, Hadfield said police still are investigating his involvement in the robbery.

“We do have someone who’s been named as a person of interest as the third person involved in the robbery,” he said.

Harris’ next court date was scheduled for 1:30 p.m. Aug. 27, after press time, before 44th District Court Judge James Wittenberg. An attorney for Harris had not yet been listed with the court.

Sene’s case was bound over to the Oakland County Circuit Court. His next court date will take place at 8:30 a.m. Sept. 5 before Judge Martha Anderson.

Advertisement