Two arrested in road rage incident in Eastpointe

By: Brendan Losinski | Roseville - Eastpointe Eastsider | Published July 11, 2021

File photo


EASTPOINTE — Two men have been charged after a car crash escalated into gunfire in Eastpointe and Detroit.

According to police, on June 24, there was an accident involving two vehicles on Eight Mile Road near Hayes Street in Detroit. Police said that the driver of the vehicle that was struck began to fire a gun at the other driver, and a chase between the two vehicles commenced.

“A chase pursued into Eastpointe,” according to a post from the Eastpointe Department of Public Safety on social media. “During the chase, the same driver continued to fire his weapon at a white pickup truck. Our officers located both vehicles and began to pursue them. Both drivers continued to flee and elude. Moments later, both vehicles were eventually stopped at Stephens and Schroeder, where both drivers were arrested without incident.”

Police said that no one was hurt as a result of the incident.

Both were charged June 25. The driver who allegedly pulled the gun was identified as Alexander Eric Howard, of Detroit. He was charged with one count of assault with intent to do great bodily harm less than murder; one count of weapons/firearms — discharging from a motor vehicle; one count of operating a vehicle without security; and one count of reckless driving. His bond was set at $100,000 cash or surety with a condition of wearing a GPS tether.

The other driver was identified as Joseph David Smith, of Roseville. He was charged with one count of fleeing and eluding — third degree; one count of operating on a suspended or revoked license — second notice; and one count of unlawful license plate/registration/title. His bond was set at $25,000 cash or surety with a condition of wearing a GPS tether.

Howard’s next court date, a probable cause hearing, was scheduled for July 13, after press time, in 38th District Court. Smith is due back in court Aug. 3 for a probable cause hearing.

Howard’s attorney, Micheal B. Kilpatrick, and Smith’s attorney, Andrew Hubbs, did not respond to requests for comment before press time.