Four in custody after shots fired during attempted robbery in Warren

By: Brian Louwers | Warren Weekly | Published June 19, 2019


Four suspects are expected to face counts of attempted murder and other charges after a dozen shots were fired during the alleged  robbery of a pedestrian near Eight Mile Road and Van Dyke Avenue early June 19.

Warren Police Commissioner Bill Dwyer said officers were sent to a home in the 8100 block of Prospect Avenue, south of Toepfer Road and east of Van Dyke, at 5:50 a.m. after dispatchers were alerted to shots fired. Police were looking for four male suspects in a blue four-door vehicle.

“Officers were able to locate the vehicle in the area of Nine Mile and Hoover,” Dwyer said. “A brief pursuit ensued, which ended a short distance away when the suspect vehicle struck a fire hydrant.”

Two suspects were arrested at the scene, while two fled on foot. One of the suspects was apprehended a short distance away, and the fourth surrendered at the Warren Police Department later in the morning.

Two of the suspects, who are both 18 years old, are residents of Detroit. A 17-year-old suspect is also a Detroit resident. One of the suspects is a 21-year-old Warren resident.

“All four will be charged with attempted murder and other counts,” Dwyer said. “We did locate a handgun inside the suspect vehicle.”

Dwyer said the victim told investigators he was approached from behind by the suspect vehicle as he walked along Prospect.

“The victim stated they were all armed, wore masks and demanded his property,” Dwyer said.

The victim reportedly fled to his home on Prospect, at which point he entered the house “yelling that he was about to be shot.”

“His mother, who is a CPL holder, went outside with her handgun,” Dwyer said.

At that point, the suspect vehicle moved about 100 yards away, from where one of the suspects allegedly fired a dozen shots. No one was struck by gunfire.

“I know her intent was to assist her son, but you should never put yourself in harm’s way,” Dwyer cautioned. “She should not have gone out of the home. She should have called 911. We were very fortunate no one was injured in this case.”

The investigation remained ongoing at press time.

Call Staff Writer Brian Louwers at (586) 498-1089.