Suspected pimp commits suicide in home on brink of police search
Published May 9, 2013
A 45-year-old man who was said to be a “known pimp” by Michigan State Police shot and killed himself inside his Southfield home May 7, according to a press release from MSP Lt. Michael Shaw.
The MSP and the Southfield Police Department, through the FBI Southeast Michigan Crimes Against Children Task Force, were reportedly executing a search warrant inside Mike Luke White’s condominium inside the 5000 Town Center building at around 9:49 p.m. that night when upon entry, task force officers heard a gunshot.
According to the press release, the shot came from the back bedroom area and was fired by White to take his own life. No other shots were fired during the incident, and no task force officers were injured.
The task force was reportedly investigating a “criminal enterprise of sex trafficking” that was operating throughout Southeastern Michigan, the MSP noted. The tip-off came when a recent female victim filed a report at the Southfield Police Department.
In the report, the unidentified victim reported being “held against her will and forced to do sexual acts.”
According to the MSP, White was convicted in 2006 on a crime related to sex trafficking. He was given a 37-month sentence by the Eastern District of Michigan United States Attorney’s Office.
No details were released on what the crime was, but White served a 37-month sentence for it, according to the MSP.
White operated under the alias “Jesse,” and his business card, a copy of which was provided by the MSP, is headlined “Do you have a Champagne Diet on a Coca-Cola Budget?”
It goes on to seek a “strong willed, independent young lady with exquisite taste” by asking, “Do you want to drive a Mercedes and shop at Chanel, Christian Dior, Gucci, Fendi, etc.?”
Finally, the card calls for women who make their “own decisions without being influenced” by peers.
It is being reported that White had more than a dozen women operating in his prostitution ring, held against their will, under his company, called “Sizzling Hot Inc.”
It is unclear how long White lived in Southfield; his driver’s license, provided by the MSP, shows the 6 foot 4, 220-pound man being a resident of Hawaii.
According to Ted Verner, a member of management for the 5000 Town Center condos, White lived in the building since October of 2008. His driver’s license, provided by the MSP, shows White being a resident of Hawaii; Verner said he did not own the Southfield unit, but rented from the owner.
“There was no indication, to the (condo) association or to the staff, that Mr. White was involved in this type of activity,” Verner said. “This is the first time anything like this has ever happened (on the property).”
Verner added that until being alerted by the door staff, management knew nothing about the search warrant that would be executed that evening.
“Until the task force walked in our door, staff had no prior knowledge,” he said.
The Southeast Michigan Crimes Against Children Task Force was established in 2007 to investigate the exploitation of children by means of prostitution in the area. The task force also investigates child abductions, child pornography and sex trafficking cases. The task force consists of members from the FBI, the Michigan State Police, the Wayne County Sheriff’s Office, and the Detroit, Southfield, Roseville and Highland Park police departments.
A State Police investigation is ongoing by the Second District Special Investigation Section, police said.
- 30 DAYS
- When time is short, some tips to start your round off right - Metro Detroit
- Woman faces child abuse charges after infant found injured - Eastpointe
- Event will make splash in Lake St. Clair - Harrison Township
- ‘Mother of all buyouts’ comes to Farmington Public Schools - Farmington Hills
- The pieces come together for library mosaic mural - Sterling Heights
- Birmingham’s Rick Joseph is state’s top teacher - Bloomfield Hills
- ‘Get into the pit’ or enjoy some ‘pop’ - Chesterfield Township
- BHS recognized as one of the most challenging high schools in the state - Berkley
- Auto accident critically injures Stevenson student - Sterling Heights
- A mother’s dream come true - Macomb Township
- Stevenson student dies after M-53 accident - Sterling Heights
- Sheriff shares latest developments in fatal Stony Creek crash - Shelby Township
- East Detroit approves school uniform policy - Eastpointe
- Three 17-year-olds die in single-vehicle crash at park - Shelby Township