Harrison TownshipJune 25, 2012
Man arrested in fatal rollover in Harrison Township
By Julie Snyder
C & G Staff Writer
One man is dead and another injured after an attempted traffic stop led to a vehicle pursuit in Harrison Township on June 22.
Donald Larrel Smelser-Emerson, 21, of Harrison Township, died from injuries he sustained in the single-vehicle accident that occurred at just after 3 a.m. on the entrance ramp to eastbound Interstate 94 from westbound 16 Mile Road.
Smelser-Emerson was the sole passenger of the vehicle driven by 18-year-old Gavin Matthew Enright.
Macomb County Sheriff Anthony Wickersham said a preliminary investigation reveals that Enright’s father had contacted his office prior to the accident, advising that his son was driving his 1999 GMC Yukon without a license.
“The father said his son had left his residence, which is in Harrison Township,” Wickersham said.
The listed vehicle was located driving slowly without any lights on at Coleridge and North Pointe Parkway, Wickersham reported in a press release.
He said deputies attempted to make stop by activating overhead lights, but Enright failed to stop and instead accelerated his vehicle to a high rate of speed. He attempted to access eastbound I-94 from 16 Mile when he lost control, causing the vehicle to roll multiple times.
Enright, of Clinton Township, was transported to an area hospital for non-life threatening injuries. Smelser-Emerson was pronounced dead at the scene.
Enright was arraigned in 41-B District Court in Clinton Township on one charge of operating a vehicle while intoxicated, causing death, a 15-year felony, and one count first-degree fleeing and eluding, another 15-year felony. His bond was set at $150,000.
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Missing woman found dead - West Bloomfield
- Emagine scraps plans for Roseville location - Roseville
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall - Berkley
- All in the family - Clinton Township
- Man robs Roseville bank - Roseville
- Police seek help in fatal hit-and-run - Clinton Township
- Premature birth rates decline in Michigan for sixth year - Metro Detroit
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer - Shelby Township
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams - Walled Lake
- Mom, man she met online to stand trial on child sex charge - Warren
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee - Macomb Township
- East Detroit student dies following pool accident - Eastpointe
- Attorney dies in Harper Avenue crash - St. Clair Shores
- CVHS students to stage production of ‘Hairspray’ - Clinton Township
- Voters approve human rights ordinance - Royal Oak
- Sterling woman hurt in shooting - Sterling Heights
- Christmas comes to the Shores - St. Clair Shores
- County board considers regional water authority proposal - Macomb County
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee
- Child prodigy becomes youngest artist exhibited at Park West Gallery
- All in the family
- Digital diet could help put emotions, priorities in shape