Trial pushed back to January for suspect in fatal stabbing case

By: Kara Szymanski | Shelby - Utica News | Published October 28, 2019

 Miguel Mansour appears at a pretrial hearing Oct. 21 at the Macomb County Circuit Court in Mount Clemens.

Miguel Mansour appears at a pretrial hearing Oct. 21 at the Macomb County Circuit Court in Mount Clemens.

Photo by Deb Jacques

Advertisement

UTICA — A man who was arraigned last year on a charge of first-degree murder for allegedly stabbing a grandfather to death in a Utica park has been found competent to stand trial more than a year later.

The Utica Police Department received multiple calls at 12:48 p.m. Sept. 1, 2018, regarding a stabbing taking place in Grant Park, 8243 Hahn St. in Utica. Utica police said that they arrived at the scene to find the incident still in progress.

Miguel Mansour, who was 22 at the time, allegedly was found stabbing the grandfather, Mike Shereda, to death in the park during a first-birthday party being held at the park for one of Shereda’s grandchildren. The grandfather reportedly had asked Mansour to stop doing drugs in the park.

Shereda did not survive the attack. He suffered multiple wounds all over his body.

For most of the time since Mansour was charged with murder, Mansour has been evaluated and treated at the Center for Forensic Psychiatry.

On Oct. 21, 2019, a pretrial hearing resulted in adjourning Mansour’s trial to Jan. 7, 2020, due to the defendant being found competent to stand trial, but there being a complicating issue.

“There was an issue. We received the forensic report on Thursday (Oct. 17), and it came back saying that he was not criminally responsible, but he could stand trial,” said Donald Teichman, Mansour’s lawyer.

Macomb County Circuit Court Judge Edward Servitto was not happy to hear that there was an issue.

“I need him to go back to the forensic center and continuing much-needed maintenance,” Servitto said.

Mansour has been ordered by the court to remain at the forensic center for continued treatment pending and during trial.

Mansour had contacts with police on two occasions prior to Sept. 1, 2018.

According to Macomb County Circuit Court records, a Sterling Heights police officer in  December 2017 petitioned for Mansour to be hospitalized for mental illness. The case records show a petition was filed Dec. 12 and a hearing was set for Dec. 19 that year. The records also say “patient discharged from hospital” Dec. 13, and an order dismissing the initial petition was entered Dec. 14.

Also according to the circuit court records, Mansour was to be arraigned in circuit court Aug. 20, 2018, for a charge of third-degree home invasion, which is a felony, and three misdemeanor counts of assault and battery. Mansour failed to show up to court, according to the records, and Servitto signed an order revoking Mansour’s release, forfeiting his bond and providing a notice of intent to enter judgment. A bench warrant for Mansour was signed Aug. 29.   

Advertisement