Suspect in Center Line bomb threat charged

By: Brian Louwers | Warren Weekly | Published March 8, 2019

CENTER LINE — A suspect is now in custody facing a felony charge for an alleged bomb threat at a Center Line medical supply company in late January.

Officials confirmed that the suspect — identified as Jason Metras, 41, of Detroit — was arrested on March 1 by Center Line detectives, with the assistance of the Warren Police Department and an investigator with the Michigan Department of Corrections. The arrest came as part of an investigation into a bomb threat phoned in to Binson’s Medical Equipment & Supplies, located at 26834 Lawrence Ave., south of 11 Mile Road and west of Van Dyke Avenue, on Jan. 31.

Detective Sgt. Michael Gerald, of the Center Line Public Safety Department, said Metras was arraigned in the 37th District Court on one felony count for allegedly making a false report of a bomb or harmful device, punishable by up to four years in prison. He remained held in the Macomb County Jail at press time, with bail set at $10,000.

He was not eligible for release, according to jail records.  

“He’s a parole absconder. Besides the $10,000 bond, he’s being held on a Michigan Department of Corrections parole detainer,” Gerald said.

No other information was released because the investigation remained ongoing at press time.

The bomb threat at Binson’s, owned and operated by the family of Center Line Mayor Robert Binson, was called in at about 1:15 p.m. Jan. 31 and led to the evacuation of several buildings the company owns in the immediate vicinity. Multiple law enforcement agencies responded with K-9 units to assist in the search for explosives, but nothing was found.

Binson’s operates a total of seven buildings in the area, including several directly on Lawrence, which the threat allegedly mentioned. About 200 Binson’s employees were affected.

Center Line City Manager Dennis Champine said previously that the city would seek to recover costs related to the emergency response.

Metras requested a court-appointed attorney at his arraignment, according to court records, and one had yet to be assigned at press time. He is expected back in court for a probable cause conference on March 13.