Attention Readers: We're Back
C&G Newspapers is pleased to have resumed publication. For the time being, our papers will publish on a biweekly basis as we work toward our return to weekly papers. In between issues, and anytime, continue to find local news on our website and look for us on Facebook and Twitter.

Senior citizen killed in Warren condo fire

By: Brian Louwers | Warren Weekly | Published December 4, 2019

File photo

Advertisement

WARREN — A 73-year-old Warren resident reportedly succumbed to smoke and flames that broke out in a condominium in the Bear Creek Village community near Chicago Road and Van Dyke avenue Dec. 3.

Warren Fire Commissioner Skip McAdams said the first emergency crews were dispatched to an address in the 8700 block of Forest Court at 2:03 p.m. The condo that caught fire was at the center of a three-unit grouping of residences. 

“A 73-year-old male was found deceased in the upstairs bedroom with smoke and fire damage to his upper torso,” McAdams said. “The fire was extinguished in approximately 10 minutes.”

McAdams said it appeared that the man used high-flow oxygen that was ignited by smoking. 

“It appears to be accidental, but it’s currently under investigation,” McAdams said. “It was not suspicious in any manner.”

The man’s son was reportedly at the condo when the fire broke out upstairs. He reportedly called 911 before trying to retrieve a fire extinguisher from the garage, but couldn’t get to the source of the fire because of the smoke.

Advertisement