Schools put on lockdown following threat

By: Julie Snyder | Mount Clemens - Clinton - Harrison Journal | Published December 10, 2015

Photo by Erin Sanchez

Advertisement

HARRISON TOWNSHIP — A little over two weeks following a threat reported at a high school, the L’Anse Creuse Public Schools community was once again faced with a threat — this one forcing six district buildings into lockdown.

Though the alleged threat made by a student at L’Anse Creuse High School-North on Nov. 18 was ultimately deemed not credible by law enforcement officials, the one allegedly made Dec. 8 led to a student being taken into police custody.

Macomb County Sheriff Anthony Wickersham said an already suspended 13-year-old male student texted his ex-girlfriend during school hours that he was going to “shoot up the school” and threatened physical violence against the girl’s current boyfriend.

The girl, a student at L’Anse Creuse Middle School-Central in Harrison Township, notified school officials.

In a letter sent to parents, Superintendent Jackie Johnston said that upon learning of the potential threat, the school was immediately locked down and the Macomb County Sheriff’s Office was notified.

“As a precautionary measure, the L’Anse Creuse Early Childhood Center, Marie C. Graham Elementary School, L’Anse Creuse High School, the Frederick V. Pankow Center and the DiAnne M. Pellerin Center were all placed on lockdown.”

Wickersham said the student was quickly located and taken to the Macomb County Juvenile Justice Center.

“We were able to locate him and determine he didn’t have the capability (to follow through on the threat),” Wickersham said.

The boy is possibly looking at a charge of making a threat with a telecommunications device. No formal charges had been brought against him at press time.

“Additionally, the district will conduct a separate investigation for disciplinary reasons,” Johnston’s letter concluded.

Advertisement