Macomb Township man dies days after self-inflicted gunshot wound

Man suspected of shooting wife dead in home days earlier

By: Joshua Gordon | Macomb Township Chronicle | Published September 4, 2018


UPDATE: Jessie Nagy, 78, died Sept. 6 from complications from a self-inflicted gunshot wound, according to a press release from the Macomb County Sheriff's Office. Nagy is accused of allegedly killing his wife and then shooting himself on Aug. 28 at their Macomb Township home.


MACOMB TOWNSHIP — A Macomb Township woman was found dead inside her home Aug. 28 with multiple gunshot wounds, while her husband was being treated for a gunshot wound at a hospital at press time. 

The Macomb County Sheriff’s Office has classified the incident as a murder and attempted suicide, and it has presented the case to the Macomb County Prosecutor’s Office, which issued a warrant for the unnamed husband.

Around 8:50 p.m. Aug. 28, the Sheriff’s Office received a call from a man in Florida who said he contacted his father, and his father was slurring his words. The man requested that deputies respond to the Macomb Township residence to check on his father.

A 911 call was also received from the residence on Mackenzie Drive in which a man was slurring his words. Responding deputies were unable to make contact with anyone and had to force entry into the home.

Deputies found the woman, Janet Nagy, 69, inside the master bedroom with gunshot wounds to her head, leg and hand. A man was found in the master bathroom with what is believed to be a gunshot wound to his head.

The man was transported to the hospital for his injury, police said. A handgun was located in the bedroom.

Police said there were no signs of forced entry and all belongings appeared to be in place. The husband and wife are the only residents of the home.

The warrant includes one count of first-degree murder, which carries a sentence of up to life in prison, and one count of felony firearm, a two-year felony. A date and time for the man’s arraignment had not been set by press time.

Sheriff’s Office detectives continued to investigate the incident at press time.