Attention Readers: Find Us in Your Mailbox Soon
With the coronavirus stats going in the right direction, all of us at C&G Newspapers look forward to resuming publication of the St. Clair Shores Sentinel and Birmingham-Bloomfield Eagle on May 27th. All other C&G newspapers will begin publishing on June 10th (Advertiser-Times on June 24th). In the meantime, continue to find local news on our website and look for us on Facebook and Twitter.

Police believe woman was driving drunk and hit motorcyclist

By: Brendan Losinski | Roseville - Eastpointe Eastsider | Published October 14, 2019

 Monique Johnson

Monique Johnson

ROSEVILLE — A 32-year-old Roseville motorcyclist was in the hospital after being struck by a Fraser woman who the Roseville Police Department said was driving while intoxicated.

The incident took place at approximately 7:30 p.m. Oct. 2 on Groesbeck Highway, north of Hayes Road. It involved a white 2015 Chrysler 200 and a black Harley-Davidson motorcycle.

The Roseville man was driving southbound on his motorcycle along Groesbeck Highway, while the Fraser woman was attempting to turn into a parking lot from the left turn lane of northbound Groesbeck. When the Fraser woman attempted to make the turn, police said, she struck the motorcyclist.

There were no other occupants in or on either vehicle. Authorities were called and the Fraser woman was arrested at the scene.

The Roseville Police Department identified the suspect as 42-year-old Monique Johnson. She was charged with one count of operating while intoxicated causing serious injury; one count of operating while intoxicated-third offense; one count of operating on a suspended, revoked or denied license; and one count of operating on a suspended, revoked or denied license causing serious injury.

“It’s unfortunate; this sort of thing shouldn’t happen,” said Roseville Police Chief Ryan Monroe. “The driver appeared to be drinking, and we never like to see something like this happen, particularly to an innocent motorist like the victim.”

Johnson was arraigned in 39th District Court Oct. 3, and her bond was set at $15,000 cash or surety, 10%. Her next court appearance was scheduled for 8:15 a.m. Wednesday, Oct. 16.

Johnson had not retained or been appointed an attorney prior to press time.