Police arrest man for robbery

By: Nico Rubello | Fraser - Clinton Township Chronicle | Published May 22, 2013


FRASER — The Fraser Department of Public Safety said fingerprint identification helped detectives find a suspect who they allege held up the tenants of a Fraser apartment at gunpoint in April.

Mandez Perrez-Eugene Igus, 30, was arrested May 10 when he showed up at the Eastpointe police station to ask about a police search that had been conducted at his house, according to the Fraser Public Safety department. 

Igus was arraigned May 13 on a $5 million bond related to an armed robbery that occurred around 3 p.m. April 13 at an apartment in the area of Utica and 15 Mile roads. Two males reportedly entered the second-story apartment, tied up the elderly resident with duct tape and threatened to shoot him unless they were given money or pills, according to a statement from Fraser Public Safety. They had at least one handgun, the statement said.

When the man’s son came out of the bedroom and confronted the two men, they reportedly struck him in the head with a gun, duct-taped his hands and feet and threatened to shoot him.

Fraser Public Safety Lt. Dan Kolke said the son broke his legs free and was able to get onto the second-story balcony, jumping onto the grass below; he was not injured. A woman below called 911, Kolke said. The suspects then fled the apartment empty-handed, he said.

By checking the victims’ phone records, detectives found that someone had called the apartment earlier on the day of the crime and asked if the man had pills to sell. Police found that both the traced call and a fingerprint found on duct tape discovered at the scene led to Igus, Kolke said.

Kolke said the elderly resident had pain pills in the apartment, having recently undergone surgery. The son, who had no role in the robbery, said he had mentioned his father’s conditions to acquaintances, Kolke added.

After police executed a search warrant at Igus’ home the afternoon of May 10, he reportedly came home, found that the search had been done and went to the Eastpointe police station to ask about it. Igus faces a charge of armed robbery, a life felony, and a charge of possessing a firearm while committing a felony, a two-year felony.

As of press time, police were still attempting to identify a second suspect.

This was the second armed robbery since April in Fraser in which fingerprint identification led to a suspect.

On April 29, police arrested a Sterling Heights 19-year-old on allegations that he was one of three masked robbers who stole packs of cigarettes from a Fraser convenience store at gunpoint. The Fraser Department of Public Safety reported that the Michigan State Police Crime Lab analyzed prints on several packs of cigarettes left behind at the store.