Pets perish in house fire

By: Linda Shepard | Rochester Post | Published December 13, 2016

Advertisement

ROCHESTER HILLS — Although the homeowner escaped unhurt, two of her pet dogs died and a third dog was injured in a 7 p.m. Dec. 10 house fire in the 3000 block of Salem Drive, near Dutton and Adams roads.

“The fire started in the foyer,” Rochester Hills Fire Chief Sean Canto said. “When the woman opened the door to go outside, one dog ran out, but the other two didn’t follow.”

The fire spread to the living room and hallways in the one-story home, Canto said, and at one point, it spread to an outside area near the front door.

“There was significant damage,” he said. “The ceiling fell, and there was heat, smoke and water damage.”

Canto said fire officials believe the fire was started by a cigarette that had been improperly discarded. Fire departments in neighboring Rochester, Troy and Auburn Hills assisted with putting out the blaze, he said. An investigation continues.

Firefighters have fought three other local house fires within the last few weeks, Canto said. No injuries were reported at any of the other fires.

A Nov. 18 fire at a home on Winter Park was reported when a smoke detector awoke family members at 4 a.m. Winter Park is located near Brewster Road and Walton Boulevard, Canto said.

Two house fires on the city’s southeast side, near John R and Auburn roads, were reported last month. A Nov. 11 fire in a home on Gravel Ridge Drive began in the basement and went through the first and second stories, Canto said. A Nov. 25 Thanksgiving Day fire on Emmons Avenue, in the same area, started in the home’s furnace. 

During the holiday season, residents should be aware and diligent about fire safety, officials said.

According to the National Fire Protection Association, electrical problems and a heat source too close to a tree can cause Christmas tree fires.

December is the peak time of year for home candle fires, officials said, and one-third of all candle fires originate in a bedroom.

Advertisement