Nine Mile and Mack in the 1940s

St. Clair Shores Sentinel | Published November 24, 2015

Advertisement

ST. CLAIR SHORES — The corner of Nine Mile and Mack in St. Clair Shores was bustling with business activity in the 1940s, but in different places than today. The Shores Theatre marquee can be seen through the covered driveway of Tremper’s Service Station. The theater today is currently closed. Johnson Milk Depot was next door to the theater on the left. Sunoco gasoline was sold at Tremper’s three-pump station. In the photograph, automobiles are parked behind the building, possibly awaiting service, which included tire and battery repair. This is currently the site of Travis Coffee Shop. 

Frank’s Café on the opposite corner served barbecue ribs, chicken, steaks and chops in the 1940s and 1950s. This building was originally the home of First National Bank, chartered in 1925 and opened here in March 1926.  The Christmas Savings Club in 1928 had total deposits of $4,000 after only two months of operation.

A series of banks followed Frank’s Café at this location. Today, the building is for sale, and First State Bank is located on the opposite corner, near McDonald’s. To view more historical photographs, visit the Digital Media Archive at www.scslibrary.org.

— Submitted by Cynthia Bieniek, archivist

Advertisement