Man injured in explosion at hotel under construction

By: Terry Oparka | Troy Times | Published November 17, 2016

Advertisement

One man was hurt when an explosion occurred as workers installed a natural gas furnace at the Fairfield Inn & Suites under construction at 225 Stephenson Highway, north of 14 Mile Road, just before 2 p.m. Nov. 17.

Firefighters responded to an alarm at the large, four-story hotel — which was not occupied with guests — and learned that the explosion inside the building had activated the sprinklers and that one person was injured, according to reports.

Firefighters got everyone out of the hotel and confirmed elevated natural gas levels inside the building, fire officials said.

Firefighters shut off the gas to the building and notified Consumers Energy, said Troy Assistant Fire Chief Richard Riesterer in a prepared statement.

The injured worker was transported to a hospital by a coworker before firefighters arrived, according to reports. His condition was not known.
There are no damage estimates at this time.

Advertisement