Man faces prison time after seven-hour police standoff

By: Victoria Mitchell | Royal Oak Review | Published April 3, 2017

 Clyde Kubiak

Clyde Kubiak

Advertisement
Advertisement

ROYAL OAK — A Royal Oak man is in jail awaiting his court date next week after a seven-hour standoff with police ended in his arrest and multiple charges against him.

Clyde Thomas Kubiak, 41, was arraigned in 44th District Court March 29 and charged with one count of domestic violence and one count of assaulting/resisting/obstructing a police officer. Bond was set at $10,000, no 10 percent.

Kubiak faces up to two years in prison and a $2,000 fine if found guilty of the charges.

The Royal Oak man pleaded not guilty and asked for a court-appointed attorney, who was not appointed as of press time.

Royal Oak Police Department Criminal Investigation Division Lt. Keith Spencer said Kubiak has one prior conviction for false report of a felony dating back to the late 1990s.

Kubiak quietly surrendered after a seven-hour standoff with police in the 900 block of North Connecticut Avenue. The standoff happened late Sunday, March 26, into the morning of Monday, March 27. The home is located south of Gardenia Avenue and west of Campbell Road.

No one was injured, including a woman whom Kubiak was dating and his 10-year-old son. The son was inside the home at the time Kubiak reportedly refused to leave.

Spencer said Kubiak was intoxicated at the time of the incident.

Officers initially responded to the home at about 10:20 p.m. March 26 after receiving a domestic dispute call.

Police said Kubiak was suspected of domestic assault, and when they arrived, he refused to come out of the house.

“The female caller said she had been assaulted, and the suspect had chased her into a parked vehicle,” according to a police statement. “The suspect was attempting to pry the car door open and fled back into the home after learning the police had been called.”

According to police, Royal Oak officers responded and learned that the suspect allegedly had made threatening statements regarding the welfare of the victim, himself and his child.

Police said Kubiak had access to a sword collection and a firearm.

According to police, they entered the home, located the 10-year-old child and brought him out to safety. Spencer said the boy is fine and with family.

Spencer said that while in the home, Kubiak refused to respond to officers’ commands and was believed to be hiding somewhere inside the house.

Police said that at that time, the southeast Oakland County SWAT team was called.

Spencer said the suspect still refused to respond to officers who were attempting to make contact with him by phone and loudspeakers.

“Chemical munitions were deployed into the home, and after seven hours, the suspect surrendered peacefully,” Spencer said.

Cleanup and restoration workers could be seen at the home later in the afternoon.

Spencer said the chemicals used — primarily tear gas — could cause some damage inside a house.

“Once the child was safely removed from the house, the officers made the prudent decision to step back in an attempt to de-escalate the situation,” Police Chief Corey O’Donohue said in a statement. “Although it took several hours, I am pleased we were able to resolve this volatile incident peacefully.”

Kubiak’s next court date is set for 9 a.m. April 11.

Advertisement
Advertisement