Attention Readers
In response to the coronavirus pandemic, C & G Newspapers has temporarily suspended its print publications. We look forward to resuming our print operation in the coming weeks. In the meantime, continue to find local news on our website and look for us on Facebook and Twitter. We hope you stay healthy and safe.

Man charged in Clawson bank robbery

By: Sarah Wojcik | Royal Oak Review | Published July 8, 2019




CLAWSON — On Monday, July 8, a 23-year-old Southfield man was arraigned on five felony charges after police say he robbed KeyBank, 330 W. 14 Mile Road in Clawson, two days earlier. 

Magistrate Dennis Drury, of the 52-4 District Court, charged Caleb Austin Hunter with bank robbery, receiving and concealing a stolen firearm, two counts of possession of a firearm while committing a felony, and carrying a concealed weapon.

Hunter stood mute during the arraignment. Drury set Hunter’s bond at $100,000 cash or surety, no 10%; entered a not guilty plea on his behalf; ordered a court-appointed attorney for him; and mandated bond conditions, including no firearms or weapons, no contact with the victim or witnesses, and that he not go to KeyBank.

At approximately 11:40 a.m. Saturday, July 6, Clawson Police Chief Scott Sarvello said, Hunter allegedly entered KeyBank wearing a hat and sunglasses and handed the teller a note that “demanded all the money and indicated he had a gun.”

He said Hunter handed the teller a bag, the teller placed the money in the bag, and Hunter fled from the bank on foot. The teller immediately pushed the alarm, and Clawson and Troy police responded.

Sarvello said Hunter did not say anything the entire time he was inside the bank and that no customers were inside the building at the time.

Officers searched the area for a robbery suspect and reportedly located Hunter in a backyard. Police arrested him and recovered the stolen cash and a gun, according to police.

“He was about two blocks east of the bank when he was arrested,” Sarvello said.

During an interview, Sarvello said, Hunter allegedly told police that he decided to walk out and give himself up because “he saw so many police cars.”

“He told us where he stole (the gun) from. We were able to reach out to Beverly Hills, and they were just taking the report from the gun owner. It was stolen out of her car recently,” Sarvello said. “Due to the quick response of Clawson and Troy officers, this incident ended quickly and safely, with the suspect in custody.”

He said Hunter has a criminal history that includes a “couple of minor things” that were dismissed under the Holmes Youthful Trainee Act.

Hunter’s probable cause conference was set for 9 a.m. July 16, and his preliminary examination was set for 9:30 a.m. July 23.

Call Staff Writer Sarah Wojcik at (586) 218-5006.