Man faces charges after allegedly threatening to ‘shoot up’ Selfridge

By: Julie Snyder | Mount Clemens - Clinton - Harrison Journal | Published December 18, 2018

File photo

 Roque E. Diegel

Roque E. Diegel

Advertisement

HARRISON TOWNSHIP — A Harrison Township man, who up until last week had worked at Selfridge Air National Guard Base, is facing a domestic terrorist threat charge.

According to a report from the Michigan State Police, the suspect allegedly made threats to “shoot up” personnel at the base on Dec. 16.

The source of the call was quickly identified by the Michigan State Police. According to Selfridge officials, Master Sgt. Roque E. Diegel was arrested Dec. 17 at his home without incident. Detectives executed a search warrant at the suspect’s residence and seized over 70 firearms and hundreds of rounds of ammunition, the report states.

Lt. Calvin Hart, assistant post commander with the Michigan State Police Metro North Post in Oak Park, said Diegel was arraigned in the 41-B District Court in Clinton Township on Dec. 18 on one count of false report or threat of terrorism, a 20-year felony. He was given a $250,000 cash bond.

“(Upon release) Diegel will be on house arrest with a tether and is required to undergo a mental evaluation,” Hart said. Diegel is also not allowed to be in possession of a firearm and is required to stay away from the base.

Diegel had been employed at the base since 2002, as an air terminal craftsman with the 127th Logistics Readiness Squadron, Selfridge officials stated.

At press time, any motive behind the threats was unknown, and an investigation was ongoing, according to the report.

“We are still investigating,” Hart said.

Diegel had yet to obtain legal counsel at press time.

Advertisement