Man allegedly follows group to house party, assaults woman

By: Mike Koury | Woodward Talk | Published April 30, 2019

 Sanford Callier

Sanford Callier


FERNDALE — A 41-year-old Royal Oak Township man was arrested for criminal sexual conduct after he was caught putting his hand down a woman’s pants, according to police.

Sanford Callier, 41, was arraigned on a fourth-degree criminal sexual conduct charge April 5 before Magistrate J. Patrick Brennan. Callier faces up to two years in prison for the high misdemeanor.

According to Ferndale Police Detective Brendan Moore, police were alerted to the incident at 11:30 p.m. on June 23, 2018. On that date, a group of people left Rosie O’Grady’s and walked to a home in the 300 block of Ardmore Drive.

Moore said Callier followed the group from the bar to the house party, where he allegedly assaulted a 25-year-old Roseville woman.

“There was a large group at the house having a party in the backyard,” Moore said. “The victim was inside the house and had fallen asleep, and she woke up to the suspect, Mr. Callier, with his hand down her pants.”

Moore said the woman ran out of the house and told her friends what had happened, and Callier was kicked out of the home.

A couple of days later, the same group of people saw Callier at Rosie O’Grady’s again, Moore said, and they called Ferndale police to identify the 41-year-old as the suspect.

Ferndale police officers interviewed all witnesses that night except for Callier, as he reportedly refused to talk to police. Moore said the interviews went to the Oakland County Prosecutor’s Office, but charges were not issued at the time.

“The prosecutor wanted further interviews, so we had to do further interviews. That took a little bit of time to find these witnesses again, get them re-interviewed. It just took some time to do all of that,” he said of the time between the initial incident and when charges were filed.

Callier’s next court date is scheduled for 1 p.m. Thursday, May 2, at Oakland County Circuit Court. His attorney, Adam Clements, could not be reached for comment by press time.