Looking Back: Utica Farm Bureau

Shelby - Utica News | Published May 4, 2016

Advertisement

This photograph from 2002 was taken at the Utica Farm Bureau and shows one of the old seed cabinets. Jars of seeds line the shelves, and a scale sits ready to measure them out for the spring planting.

Established in 1919, the bureau supplied local farmers with all they needed for their farms, such as coal, kerosene, fertilizer and crop seeds.

The business closed after a fire damaged the building in September 2005. Many residents remember shopping at the farm bureau and say that it was like stepping back in time. The building still stands on Auburn Road in Utica and was most recently home to the Merchandise Exchange.

Photo and caption provided by Hilary Davis, of the Shelby Township Historical Committee

Advertisement