Looking Back: The Morse block

Rochester Post | Published April 24, 2019

Advertisement

ROCHESTER — These two photos show the Morse block of Rochester’s Main Street in the 1940s and in 2018.

This building is located at 321-323 S. Main St., on the west side, between Third and Fourth streets. Opened in 1881, the building celebrates its 138th anniversary this year. For over 90 years, 321 S. Main St. was home to various drugstores, including William S. Starring, Purdy’s Drugs and Hunter Drugs. The address of 323 S. Main St. was home to several dry goods stores, including A.E. Collins and Shueller’s.

The 1940s photo shows Purdy’s Drugs and Shueller’s occupying the building. The 2018 photo, taken by Rochester Hills Museum at Van Hoosen Farm volunteer Ron Meegan, shows the present-day stores, Janet Varner and the Plain & Fancy Gift Shop.

— The Rochester Hills Museum at Van Hoosen Farm

Advertisement