Looking Back: South River Road School, 1874

Mount Clemens - Clinton - Harrison Journal | Published March 26, 2018

Advertisement

The South River Road School one-room schoolhouse sat in what is now Harrison Township. Jacob Hatzenbuhler sold a corner of his farm for $25 as the site for the new school in 1874. Since most of the students were named Hatzenbuhler, conjecture has it that he wanted to keep his kids close to home. Today his land is the site of South River Elementary School.

— Marie P. (Ling) McDougal, Harrison Township historian

Advertisement