Looking Back: Nine Mile and Mack in St. Clair Shores

St. Clair Shores Sentinel | Published April 22, 2015

Advertisement

Driving on Nine Mile Road during the flood of May 1948 was a challenge. In this image, two automobiles of various vintages are trying to pass each other in the middle of the road near the Dairy Bar. Without curbs and storm sewers to handle the water, the stores and houses were in the path of the wake left by passing vehicles.

The Dairy Bar was located at 22535 Nine Mile Road. It was also known as the Roseville Creamery. Operated by Leighton Cox, the dairy sold only ice cream and milk. The main Roseville Creamery company was located on 12 Mile Road in Roseville. The Dairy Bar was listed in the December 1948 and April 1950 local telephone directories. Notice the public telephone sign outside the building: it is almost impossible to find a public telephone today in the age of cellphones. To view this and other images in the digital media archive, visit www.scslibrary.org.

Submitted by: Cynthia Bieniek, archivist

Advertisement