Photo provided by the St. Clair Shores Historical Commission


Looking Back: Jefferson Avenue

St. Clair Shores Sentinel | Published January 8, 2021

Advertisement

ST. CLAIR SHORES — In this view from almost 70 years ago, looking north toward 10 Mile Road, Jefferson Avenue is much narrower than in the present day. This photo was taken Jan. 26, 1952, by the St. Clair Shores City Engineering Department; the department took photographs before installing new pavement and street lighting on Jefferson Avenue.

At left is Revere Hall, 24725 Jefferson Ave., which could be rented for weddings, banquets or parties. It also functioned as a ballroom. In that same location today is the Henry Ford Medical Center.

At right, the sign for Shores Boat Harbor can be seen. Today, Colony Marine occupies the space. The unidentified man in the photo is crossing in front of Baumia Lane, which no longer exists.

To the north of Shores Boat Harbor was the entrance to the St. Clair Shores Civic Center, which included most city offices. Today, that location is better known as Blossom Heath Inn, Park and Pier. Blossom Heath was the location of the city offices from 1946 to 1957. The city offices moved to their current location on Jefferson Avenue near 11 Mile Road in April 1957.

To view this image and other historic photographs, please visit the Digital Media Archive at www.scslibrary.org.

— Submitted by Heidi Christein, archivist, St. Clair Shores Public Library

Advertisement