Looking Back: Immaculate Conception Catholic Schools

Warren Weekly | Published June 10, 2015

Advertisement

This photo illustrates members of the Immaculate Conception Catholic Schools Parent-Teacher Organization performing a lively skit for the parents to begin the new school year.

IC first opened in Hamtramck in 1936 with an enrollment of 18 students in two classes. According to the school’s history, new pastor Father Joseph Schmondiuk several years later proposed a new school building to accommodate the growing enrollment. A “dollar-a-Sunday” campaign was created to fund the new school, which eventually opened in September 1951 in Hamtramck.

In 1983, a public school building was purchased from Warren Consolidated Schools, and IC moved to the suburbs on Westbrook near 12 Mile in Warren, where it still stands today.

Source: Immaculate Conception Ukrainian Catholic Schools Diamond Jubilee 1936-2011 book

Advertisement