Photo provided by the St. Clair Shores Historical Commission


Looking Back: Driscoll’s Steak House restaurant

St. Clair Shores Sentinel | Published July 5, 2019

ST. CLAIR SHORES — This building was built in the late 1880s on the west side of Jefferson Avenue at Labadie Road (now 10 Mile Road) on the Labadie family farm. It was used as a grocery store, operated at various times by both the Bennett and Labadie families, until it became Driscoll’s Steak House in the 1940s, as shown here.

A local 1951 phone book lists the address of Driscoll’s Steak House as 24937 Jefferson Ave. In the accompanying advertisement, the restaurant hours are listed as 4:30 p.m. to “midnite,” but at that time, the steak house was not a year-round business. It was open from May 1 to January 1, while being closed for the winter months.

An undated Driscoll’s menu (estimated from the late 1960s or early 1970s) lists several appetizers, seafood dishes in the $7 to $11 range, and a lot of beef. A “New York Strip Sirloin Steak” cost $8.50, as did the “Prime Steer Filet Mignon.” The “Roast Prime Rib of Beef au Jus” cost $7.50. If a diner wanted a baked potato and sour cream instead of the included hash browns, there was an additional charge of 60 cents.

Driscoll’s closed in the mid to late 1970s. By 1979, another restaurant had started in the building: Bobby Moore’s Blind Fish. The restaurant was renamed as a steak house in 1995. The building was destroyed by fire on Sept. 14, 1997.

— Submitted by Heidi Christein, archivist, St. Clair Shores Public Library