Looking Back: Couchez Farm

St. Clair Shores Sentinel | Published May 11, 2018

Photograph courtesy of the St. Clair Shores Historical Commission.

Advertisement

The Couchez family farmed in the area of St. Clair Shores in the 19th and 20th centuries. An 1895 Macomb County atlas lists at least three farms owned by Couchez family members. Part of the family had emigrated from Belgium in the latter half of the 1800s.

This photo taken about 1924 shows Edmund Couchez sitting on a wagon with an unidentified boy. The Couchez farm was on Jefferson Avenue, near what is present-day Maple Street in St. Clair Shores. While there is a Couchez Street in the city today, for a time, what is now 13 Mile Road was also known as Couchez.

 Edmund was born in 1874 in Macomb County. He lived with his parents, Benjamin and Virginia (nee Trombley) until middle age. He married for the first time about two years after this photo was taken, at the age of 51, on April 27, 1926. His wife, the former Ida Sullivan Romzick, was 46 and marrying for the second time. Mr. Couchez died February 23, 1954, and was buried in the St. Gertrude Cemetery.

 To view this image and other historic photographs, please visit the Digital Media Archive at www.scslibrary.org.

  — Submitted by Heidi Christein, Archivist, St. Clair Shores Public Library

Advertisement