Looking Back: Cass Street, circa 1905

Shelby - Utica News | Published June 7, 2017

Advertisement

This photograph, taken around 1905, shows Cass Street (now Avenue) in downtown Utica, looking north from Main Street. Note the buggies parked along the street and the horses tied to the numerous hitching rails in front of the stores. Also notice that Cass and Main Street are not paved. In just a few years, the hitching rails will be gone, the buggies will be replaced by automobiles and the roads will be paved. Most of the buildings in this photograph have been replaced by newer ones, except for the building on the far right, which today is occupied by Hogs Hollow Smokehouse.

Advertisement