Intoxicated man arrested after hit-and-run incident

By: Andy Kozlowski | Madison - Park News | Published December 3, 2020

Shutterstock image


MADISON HEIGHTS/HAZEL PARK — A suspect who crashed his vehicle in Madison Heights and fled the scene was later arrested in Hazel Park when an officer identified the highly intoxicated man walking along a road.

The Michigan State Police have taken the lead on the investigation. At press time, the suspect had not yet been arraigned on any charges, and his identity had not been made public.  

The incident occurred the day after Thanksgiving, Nov. 27, around 5:50 a.m. Troopers from the Michigan State Police responded to a serious crash on Interstate 696, near Dequindre Road, in Madison Heights.

Michigan State Police Lt. Michael Shaw said that witnesses observed the driver in the crash exiting his vehicle and fleeing the scene. State police declined to describe specifics of the crash at press time, but it was noted that there was a victim who suffered a broken leg, but is otherwise OK.

The suspect left his wallet in the driver’s seat. The wallet contained ID that revealed his name and appearance, which was shared with police agencies in the area.

It wasn’t until later that morning that he was found, around 8:30 a.m., when a police officer in Hazel Park saw a man matching the description walking along the Interstate 75 service drive near 10 Mile Road. The man was reportedly highly intoxicated, and the wallet was confirmed to be his.

He was taken into custody, and at press time was being lodged at the Oakland County Jail. While talking to police, he reportedly said that he thought a state police helicopter was following him after the crash. The helicopter, however, was a local TV chopper filming the traffic backup that the crash had created.

Shaw said more details are still being pieced together.

“Troopers are continuing the investigation into this incident,” the lieutenant said. “Once the investigation is completed, a packet will be sent to the prosecutor for review.”

Hazel Park Police Chief Brian Buchholz added that the suspect had blood on his clothes and knuckles when he was found.

“He was seen by Hazel Park Fire and refused further treatment,” Buchholz said. “MSP arrived on scene later, and the suspect was turned over to them.”