Home burns after car catches fire in attached garage

By: Brian Louwers | Warren Weekly | Published March 2, 2015

 A vehicle that caught fire in an attached garage ignited a house fire on Chloe west of Schoenherr and north of 10 Mile Road early on March 2. No injuries were reported.

A vehicle that caught fire in an attached garage ignited a house fire on Chloe west of Schoenherr and north of 10 Mile Road early on March 2. No injuries were reported.

Photo by Deb Jacques

Advertisement

WARREN — A home near 10 Mile and Schoenherr was severely damaged in a raging fire March 2 after a vehicle parked in an attached garage ignited and flames quickly spread through the attic space.

Warren Fire Chief David Frederick said no one was injured, thankfully, and that firefighters were able to locate and save the family’s dog.

He said firefighters were dispatched to a 911 call in the 25600 block of Chloe at 9:39 a.m.

“The homeowner pulled into his garage and 15-20 minutes later he started smelling smoke,” Frederick said “He opened the garage and he saw flames in his car, in the passenger compartment.”

Frederick said what most likely was an electrical fire that started in the car’s dash spread quickly to the garage, fed by a good supply of air.

“There’s enough air and stuff to move around. Cars in themselves burn really fast, as much heat as it gives off,” Frederick said. “The garage, if it’s open to the attic space, it will go across really fast.”

Frederick said the fire caused significant damage to the house but that it wasn’t a total loss.

No injuries were reported and firefighters were able to save the family’s pet boxer.

“They found it in one of the bedrooms in the back and they pulled it out,” Frederick said. “It was a pretty good fire. It’s amazing. They guys made a really good stop on the house, for the house to still be standing.”

Advertisement